How to reach us
The nearest airport is Bari Palese, connected to the airports of the most important Italian and European cities.
From the airport, served by major car rental companies, you can take
- a shuttle bus (4 euro each way) that connects Bari Airport directly to Matera. The shuttle buses leave Bari airport at 9:15, 14:40, 15:45, 19:15 and 00:30; they take 75 minutes to reach Matera central station in Piazza Matteotti. The shuttle buses to the airport leave from Matera at the following times: 4:55, 10:45, 13:00, 17:10, 20:35 with the same travel time.
- The Ferrotramviaria S.p.A. train connecting Palese airport to Bari central station, from where you can catch buses and trains to Matera
The Italian Railway stations closest to the city are:
- Ferrandina Scalo (Florence-Rome-Naples-Taranto Tyrrhenian line);
- Bari Centrale (Milan-Bologna-Rimini-Ancona-Pescara-Lecce Adriatic line).
From Ferrandina Scalo you can reach Matera with the Ferrovie Appulo Lucane (FAL) bus in 45 minutes.
From Bari Centrale you can reach Matera by train or with the Ferrovie Appulo Lucane (FAL) bus in about 100 minutes.
The timetables for the trains and FAL buses that link Matera to Ferrandina Scalo and Bari can be found on the company's website www.ferrovieappulolucane.it
The bus and train terminus is Piazza Matteotti, where there is the FAL Central Station of Matera.
To reach our B&B from here, you can use a very good taxi service or even get here on foot.
Matera is also connected to the AV network (Salerno) with Trenitalia and Italo special bus services.
Routes that lead to Matera:
- from the Tyrrhenian Sea: A3 Motorway (Salerno-Reggio Calabria), exit at Sicignano degli Alburni/Potenza – slip road to Potenza – Superstrada 406 Basentana, Matera - SS.7 exit to the Matera 2-centro exit;
- from the Ionian Sea: Superstrada 106 Jonica Metaponto/Matera – SS. 175 + SS. 7 exit to Matera 2-centro exit;
- from the Adriatic Sea: A4 motorway (Bologna-Bari), Bari nord exit towards Altamura/Matera – SS 96 to Altamura + SS 99 from Altamura to Matera, to Matera 2-centro exit;
From the Matera 2 –Centro exit follow the signs to the centre and enter the ZTL (limited traffic area) of the historical centre, from the limited traffic area gate of Via Lucana (Via Scotellaro); from here follow the compulsory route (Piazza San Francesco - Via del Corso – Via delle Beccherie – Piazza del Sedile – Via Duomo) leading to Piazza Duomo: at the end of the square there is a wide arch between the Arcivescovado and the Palazzo/Hotel Gattini, which gives access to Via San Potito.
To load and unload luggage, you can part for a short time in Piazza Duomo: the B&B is 50 metres away, identified by the unmistakable “bridge” of Via San Potito.
Recalling that the entire center of the city, including the area of the Sassi, is a Zone Closed to Traffic, for the long break you can use some parking silos (guarded, indoor and open 24/24h about 300 m far from the B&B:
- Parking lots Via Lucana / corner Via Vena;
- Parking lots Mill Square / corner Via Cappelluti;
- Parking lots Piazza Cesare Firrao.
Alternatively, you can park along Via Lanera, Via Castello, Via Gramsci all about 300 m far from the B&B.
For the times and how to access to the ZTL limited traffic area, please contact us before your arrival.
From Lombardy, Marche, Tuscany, Liguria, Emilia Romagna, Umbria, Campania and Friuli the bus service is offered by Autobus Marino: www.marinobus.it
From Rome, Florence, Pisa and Siena, the service is offered by Autolinee Marozzi: www.marozzivt.it
Other bus services can be found on the following websites: www.sita-on-line.it - www.autolineeliscio.it
If you are coming to the city by train, the FAL bus, a long-distance bus or the airport shuttle bus, get off at the terminus in Piazza Matteotti (FAL Central Station). From here you can walk to our B&B in about 15 minutes, along Via Don Minzoni, Via Ascanio Persio, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, Via delle Beccherie, Piazza Sedile, Via Duomo, Piazza Duomo, at the end of the square there is a wide arch, between the Arcivescovado and Palazzo/Hotel Gattini, which gives access to Via San Potito.
30 metres away there is the unmistakable silhouette of the B&B’s “little bridge”.
What to see in the surrounding area
Our B&B is located in an ideal position to visit the ancient city: the Cathedral, the Civita, the two Rioni Sassi and their eighteenth century crown.
You can also easily visit the main cultural sites that animate the “European Capital of Culture 2019”.